Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a delicate and very pretty desert.
Make and share this Floating Islands recipe from Food.com.
- 1 vanilla pod
- 600 ml milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons potato flour (optional)
- 1 dash lemon juice
- Place the vanilla pod in a saucepan with the milk and bring slowly to a boil.
- Release the seeds in the pod by using a wooden spoon to smash it up against the side of the pan.
- Pour the milk into a wide-based pan and leave to cool without removing the vanilla.
- Meanwhile, separate the eggs.
- Place the yolks in a bowl for use later and beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until very stiff.
- Fold in 25g of sugar and beat again.
- Reheat the milk, remove the vanilla pod and drop scoops of stiff egg white on to the milk and cook for a couple minutes until firm, turning with a perforated spoon.
- Remove these"islands" to a plate.
- Beat the egg yolks with 75g sugar and the flour, if using.
- Add the warm milk then return to the milk pan, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Pour the custard into a shallow dish and float the"islands" on top.
- Heat the remaining sugar with a tablespoon of water and the lemon juice until it is light golden.
- Trickle the syrup over the"islands".
- Chill before serving.
thanks for this recipe. Very simple & quick. My 13 year old son made this for Sunday Lunch! no probs! Tasted great everyone enjoyed. He added a tbspn of unsweetened cocoa powder instead of flour it was execellent. thanks again