Here's a delicate and very pretty desert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the vanilla pod in a saucepan with the milk and bring slowly to a boil.
- 2Release the seeds in the pod by using a wooden spoon to smash it up against the side of the pan.
- 3Pour the milk into a wide-based pan and leave to cool without removing the vanilla.
- 4Meanwhile, separate the eggs.
- 5Place the yolks in a bowl for use later and beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until very stiff.
- 6Fold in 25g of sugar and beat again.
- 7Reheat the milk, remove the vanilla pod and drop scoops of stiff egg white on to the milk and cook for a couple minutes until firm, turning with a perforated spoon.
- 8Remove these"islands" to a plate.
- 9Beat the egg yolks with 75g sugar and the flour, if using.
- 10Add the warm milk then return to the milk pan, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- 11Pour the custard into a shallow dish and float the"islands" on top.
- 12Heat the remaining sugar with a tablespoon of water and the lemon juice until it is light golden.
- 13Trickle the syrup over the"islands".
- 14Chill before serving.
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Floating Islands
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 179.1 mg
- Sodium 162.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: