Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 -5 drops chili sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (the original called for Thai fish sauce)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves or 1 cup sugar snap peas or 1 cup snow peas or 1 cup water chestnuts or 1 cup black mushrooms
- Saute shallot, garlic and ginger in a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer.
- Add cilantro, lemon juice, chili sauce, soy sauce (or alternative) and vegetables.
- Simmer until spinach is wilted and veggies are tender but not limp, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Delish! I made this for our evening meal and we loved it. I doubled the recipe. I didn't have shallots so used regular onion and lime instead of lemon juice. I didn't have any spinach on had but did have some bok choy so chopped it up and added that. I will ad Udon noodles to this. The flavors were really good in this soup. I will make it again, thanks for the great post.
Really nice. A good basic soup recipe for asian dishes. It had a really nice coconut vs. tarty/sour taste going on mixed with a subtle chilli flavour coming through. I just cooked this for use on rice and then served it up with chicken Easy, quick, and delicious.