Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Literally "flower of milk" from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. Apparently Sicilian gelato is made with cornstarch instead of eggs or other thickeners! Interesting article on ice cream in Sicily here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/The-Empire-of-Ice-Cream
- Warm milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- In a separate dish, whisk the cornstarch into the heavy cream. Once completely dissolved, add this mixture to the milk mixture.
- Heat the mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to boil and bubble up. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stiring constantly.
- Remove from heat and scrape into a bowl. Chill thorough in the refrigerator until chilled through, stirring occasionally as it cools.
- Once chilled, whisk once more to remove any lumps then process in your ice cream machine per the manufacturer's instructions.