Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was posted in answer to a request for Dutch (Netherlands) recipes. The recipe comes from the book: "Cooking into Europe - Choice Common Market Dishes" (1973). This recipe was copied word for word from the book. These pancakes are often eaten just with brown sugar or maple syrup. Prep, cooking times** and servings were not given for this recipe, they are my estimates. ** Cooking time is approx for cooking all the batter!
- Sieve the flour and salt into a basin, and make a well in the center.
- Beat the egg slightly and mix with the milk.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture into the flour gradually, and beat to make a smooth batter.
- Grease a 5-inch frying pan with a little butter.
- Heat the pan until the fat shows a faint blue haze.
- Pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the pancake to brown on the underside; turn over with a spatula and brown the second side slightly.
- Remove to greaseproof paper.
- Make the rest of the pancakes the same way.
- When the pancakes are cold you can spread all except one with strawberry jam and whipped cream.
- Keep enough whipped cream to decorate the top one.
- Pile the pancakes one on top of another to form a"layer cake" with the plain pancake on top.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate and decorate with halved glacé cherries and whipped cream.