This recipe was posted in answer to a request for Dutch (Netherlands) recipes. The recipe comes from the book: "Cooking into Europe - Choice Common Market Dishes" (1973). This recipe was copied word for word from the book. These pancakes are often eaten just with brown sugar or maple syrup. Prep, cooking times** and servings were not given for this recipe, they are my estimates. ** Cooking time is approx for cooking all the batter!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- strawberry jam
- 1/4 pint whipped cream
- grated chocolate
- halved glace cherries
- 1Sieve the flour and salt into a basin, and make a well in the center.
- 2Beat the egg slightly and mix with the milk.
- 3Pour the egg-milk mixture into the flour gradually, and beat to make a smooth batter.
- 4Grease a 5-inch frying pan with a little butter.
- 5Heat the pan until the fat shows a faint blue haze.
- 6Pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan.
- 7Allow the pancake to brown on the underside; turn over with a spatula and brown the second side slightly.
- 8Remove to greaseproof paper.
- 9Make the rest of the pancakes the same way.
- 10When the pancakes are cold you can spread all except one with strawberry jam and whipped cream.
- 11Keep enough whipped cream to decorate the top one.
- 12Pile the pancakes one on top of another to form a"layer cake" with the plain pancake on top.
- 13Sprinkle with grated chocolate and decorate with halved glacé cherries and whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flenjes (Thin Filled Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.5
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 268.4 mg
- Sodium 385.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.6 g