Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Adapted from a recipe for venison, this is good with most any meat. We prefer pork shoulder. Prepare all the ingredients before you start to make preparation flow smoothly. Serve with a hearty vegetable such as brussels sprouts and a Waldorf or other fruit salad.
- 6 juniper berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb pork shoulder, visible fat removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsley chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 4 carrots, large, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1-inch)
- Make spice bag by tying the spices into a piece of folded cheese cloth or muslin. Use a heavy pan or rolling pin to bruise (not shatter!) the spices.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat and add oil. Put flour and salt into a bag, add pork cubes and shake until well coated. Brown cubes in hot oil on on sides. (Depending on size of pan, you may need to do in two batches). Set aside browned meat.
- Reduce heat and add onions and garlic. Saute just until translucent, don't brown. Add wine or juice to pan, and scrape up all the brown bits.
- Put vegetables into bottom of crockpot, add meat on top and add beef broth and wine or juice and onion mixture. Pour broth over everything and set cooker to "Low".
- Add spice bag and simmer for 6 hours. Stirring once an hour so helps distribute the spices.
- To serve, remove spice bag and discard.
This is SOo wonderful! I used portabella mushrooms instead of meat (we had a vegetarian over). I used butter instead of vegetable oil and then added a roue of butter and flour to thicken it just a little. I also used vegetable broth instead of beef broth. I loved the tangy taste of the wine and the spices. I will definitely make this again! Delicious!