6 hrs 45 mins
Chef George S.'s Note:
Adapted from a recipe for venison, this is good with most any meat. We prefer pork shoulder. Prepare all the ingredients before you start to make preparation flow smoothly. Serve with a hearty vegetable such as brussels sprouts and a Waldorf or other fruit salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 juniper berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 4 allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb pork shoulder, visible fat removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, coarsley chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 4 carrots, large, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1-inch)
- 1Make spice bag by tying the spices into a piece of folded cheese cloth or muslin. Use a heavy pan or rolling pin to bruise (not shatter!) the spices.
- 2Heat pan on medium-high heat and add oil. Put flour and salt into a bag, add pork cubes and shake until well coated. Brown cubes in hot oil on on sides. (Depending on size of pan, you may need to do in two batches). Set aside browned meat.
- 3Reduce heat and add onions and garlic. Saute just until translucent, don't brown. Add wine or juice to pan, and scrape up all the brown bits.
- 4Put vegetables into bottom of crockpot, add meat on top and add beef broth and wine or juice and onion mixture. Pour broth over everything and set cooker to "Low".
- 5Add spice bag and simmer for 6 hours. Stirring once an hour so helps distribute the spices.
- 6To serve, remove spice bag and discard.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flemish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.2
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 1506.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: