Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Carrots sauteed in butter until lightly caramel then seasoned with lemon.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut in matchstick-sized strips
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- Melt the butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Saute carrots for 12-15 minutes stirring continuously until lightly caramelized.
- Mix in water, brown sugar, salt and mace.
- Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until carrots are barely done (still a bit crisp).
- Remove cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks and cream until well blended and frothy.
- Stir unto carrots.
- Season with lemon juice and serve.
Humm... it started out so very well. I followed the instructions to the letter as I made this for the Christmas dinner table but as soon as I added the egg yolks at step 6 the sauce split and they didn't look half as nice. The carrots themselves tasted great, no problems there, just the presentation was off. I'd removed it from the heat when I added the eggs and cream, might it have still been too hot? I'd definiately make this again... they are worth trying to get right as the taste is yummy, it's just that with the presentation lacking, the dish was still 80% full after the guests left the table so it obviously put people off. What a shame for such a yummy dish. If I can perfect this dish I will upgrade my review in the future. Please see my rating system, a lovely 3 stars. Thanks !