Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3⁄4 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Simmer meat and water in Dutch oven for about 1 hour, covered.
- Then remove lid and allow water to boil away, so that meat ends up browning in its own fat.
- Adjust heat so that the meat juices that coat the pan do not burn.
- When meat is browned, remove from pan and reserve.
- Pour out fat.
- Thinly slice onion and add to pan; sauté over gentle heat, scraping up browned particles.
- Add sugar and continue cooking until onions are a rich brown.
- Add garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Return meat to pan (or remove meat and onions to crockpot), and add salt, pepper, sage, and beer.
- Simmer until meat is fork tender.
- Depending upon the cut, this will take a total time of 1-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Add vinegar when cooked.
- Serve with rice, noodles or boiled potatoes.
- This braised dish will be improved by being made in advance and reheated.