8 hrs 45 mins
This recipe calls for a brown ale or a strong dark beer. It is recommended that you do not use a stout. I found this recipe in Eating Well Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 lbs bottom round steaks, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 lb cremini mushrooms or 3/4 lb white button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown ale or 2 cups dark beer
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add half the beef and brown on all sides, turning frequently (about 5 minutes).
- 3Transfer to a 6 quart crock pot.
- 4Drain any fat from pan.
- 5Add the remaining 2 tsp oil and brown the remaining beef.
- 6Transfer to the crock pot.
- 7Return the skillet to medium heat, add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they give off their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze (5-7 minutes).
- 8Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; cook undisturbed for 10 seconds, then stir and cook for 30 seconds more.
- 9Pour in ale (or beer); bring to a boil, whisking constantly to reduce foaming, until thickened and bubbling (about 3 minutes).
- 10Transfer the mushroom mixture to the crock pot.
- 11Add carrots, onion, garlic, mustard, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf to the crock pot.
- 12Stir to combine.
- 13Cover and cook on low until the beef is very tender, about 8 hours.
- 14Discard bay leaf before serving.
- 15***To make ahead: Prepare though step 12 ; cover and refrigerate for up to one day before cooking in crock pot.
- 16Serves 8.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flemish Beef Stew (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.6
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 340.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: