1/1 Photo of Flemish Beef Stew
1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 56.69 g chopped salt pork
- 1 bay leaf
- 453.59 g beef chuck, in chunks
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml flour
- 1 French bread (stale)
- 22.18 ml vinegar
- 473.18 ml Belgian dark trappist beer or 473.18 ml stout beer or 473.18 ml porter
- 1 parsley sprig
- 14.79 ml packed brown sugar
- 1Blanch salt pork in boiling water 5 minutes.
- 2Drain and rinse well; pat dry.
- 3Transfer to heavy large skillet and cook over medium flame until lightly browned.
- 4Remove from skillet using slotted spoon and reserve for use in salads or other dished.
- 5Increase heat to medium high.
- 6Add beef to skillet in batches (do not crowd) and cook until well browned on all sides, turning with spatula.
- 7Transfer meat to heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan.
- 8Add onions to skillet reduce heat slightly and cook until deep golden brown about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Blend in flour and cook about 30 seconds, watching carefully so flour does not burn.
- 10Add stout and stir, scraping up any browned bits.
- 11Bring mixture to boil.
- 12Pour over beef.
- 13Blend in vinegar, sugar, parsley, bay leaf and thyme.
- 14Cover saucepan and simmer mixture for 30 minutes.
- 15Spread mustard over bread.
- 16Press bread into stew.
- 17Cover and cook until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- 18Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 19Serve immediately.
- 20Serve with boiled potatoes, green salad and beer.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flemish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 242.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 12.1 g