Recipe by JF22561
Recipe By: Betty Crocker's Working Woman's Cookbook with a Couple Changes by me. I have made this quite often over the last 20 years. Everyone that has tried it, LOVES it! This has an awesome blend of flavors! I don't like beer to drink at all, but I do love it in cooking. It's a great meat tenderizer and adds a unique flavor to the gravy along with the bacon and brown sugar. One of my favorite meals in cold weather. NOTES : TO MAKE INTO A STEW:. Use 2 to 3 lbs. lean stew beef, lightly coated with braising flour and browned in the bacon grease. Continue with the rest of the recipe as directed until time to make the gravy. When making the gravy, stir in the flour and water mixture and cook until thickened. Serve stew as you would any stew. This is great with a nice crusty bread to soak up the gravy.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 lbs arm roast or 4 lbs beef blade roast or 4 lbs cross-rib roasts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 (20 ounce) packagesfrozen stew vegetables
TO MAKE GRAVY
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in 5-quart Dutch Oven until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook beef in bacon fat over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown; drain.
- Add brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, pepper, thyme, bacon, water and beer.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer just until beef is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- (OR transfer to crock pot after boiling and cook on LOW setting for 4 to 6 hours until beef is tender).
- If serving that evening, continue onto"TO SERVE" or cover and refrigerate beef and broth separately.
- (Store no longer than 48 hours).
- TO SERVE:.
- About 45 minutes before serving, remove fat from broth.
- (If using crock pot, add vegetables for the last 1 1/2 hours).
- Heat beef and broth to boiling.
- Add vegetables; cover and simmer until beef is hot and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove beef and vegetables to warm platter.
- Shake water and flour in covered container; stir into broth.
- Heat to boiling, stirring or whisking constantly.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Serve with beef and vegetables.