Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A stew that is of Northern France origin.
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer or 1 (12 ounce) bottle ale
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- Cut chuck into 1 inch cubes. Mix flour, salt and pepper. Roll meat cubes in flour mixture. Heat vegetable shortening in a Dutch oven or other heavy large saucepan.Brown meat cubes on all sides.Add remaining ingredients. Cover tightly and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.Add water, if necessary, to keep stew from sticking,.If needed,add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with additional finely chopped parsley and boiled potatoes.