Top Review by Paulette
It was the perfect day - cold & rainy - to have a stew and this one was awesome! I halved the recipe, and the only subsitution I made was using regular vegetable cooking oil, which is what I had on hand, instead of sunflower oil. I also threw in some carrots just to have an added vegetable. The meat was very tender, and the gravy rich & thick. I served it with a spinach salad. We had some leftover, and I think I will cook some rice or noodles to compliment the leftovers.
- 4 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 lbs large onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- ground pepper
- 24 ounces beef broth, kept hot
- 24 ounces beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 325 F degrees.
- Cut stew meat into rather small pieces and roll lightly into the flour.
- Heat oil, then stir fry meat, a little at a time, until golden.
- Do the same with onion and garlic, adding more oil if needed.
- Place everything in a 6-8 quart deep pan, adding the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add hot broth and beer.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove pan from the oven, place it on the stove over medium fire, add balance of vinegar and bring sauce to boiling.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer.