Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
When I was in the Army the shopette had this salad every Friday. We could not wait for Fridays so we could get it to eat while we played Pinochle with our "Aircraft Recognition" playing cards (this way we could call it training). The salad is made with odds and ends of deli meats and cheeses with some pickles thrown in for good measure! Hopefully, your supermarket sells the ends of deli meats and cheeses as mine does. This way it only costs $2.99/lb rather than $6.99 and up. Use whatever meats you can get, but one of them really should be a salami for it's spiciness.
- 1⁄4 cup ham, 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup bologna, 1/2 inch dice (or other deli meats such as roast beef, turkey, pastrami)
- 1⁄4 cup salami, 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄8 cup cheese, 1/2 inch dice (your choice)
- 1⁄8 cup pickle, 1/4 inch dice (either or or sweet gherkins or kosher dill or even fresh cucumber)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (or use 1/8 cup mayo and 1/8 cup plain yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Combine meats, cheese, and pickles in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise (and/or yogurt), vinegar, salt and pepper; mix to combine.
- Deal the cards.
I loved this salad!!!! I made one change though - I cut back on the mayonnaise and added Dijon mustard. Mayo and salad dressings are not a favorite and so I used the mustard to give it a bit more flavor. The meat combination is perfect. I am thinking next time of adding a few chopped green olives. MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!