3 hrs 20 mins
Posted for a Recipezaar friend; haven't tried these myself. The Fleischmann's Yeast Company published this recipe, claiming the recipe is of German origin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups)
- 1 package Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature (reserve whites for filling)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 3/4 cup chopped/pitted dates
Chocolate Nut Filling
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chip, substituted for dates,above
- 1Mix sour cream and water; heat until warm (105 to 115F).
- 2Stir in yeast; let stand 3 minutes or until yeast is dissolved; set aside.
- 3In large bowl, combine butter and 1/2 cup flour; stir in sour cream mixture.
- 4Stir in egg yolks and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- 5Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- 6Wrap in airtight plastic wrap; chill at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- 7Lightly dust work surface with sugar.
- 8Roll each piece of dough to 12-inch circle; cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- 9Spread each wedge with about 1 tablespoon filling.
- 10Roll up from wide ends to make crescents.
- 11Place, with points down, on greased baking sheets.
- 12Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
- 14Makes 24 to 30 cookies.
- 16In medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 17Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until very stiff but not dry.
- 18Stir in ground walnuts and chopped dates or pitted dates (snipped) OR mini chocolate chips.
Nutritional Facts for Fleischmann's Kifle
Serving Size: 1 (949 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.8
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 36.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g