1/1 Photo of Fleetwood Diner Hippie Hash (Interpretation)
1 hr 25 mins
When I attended the University of Michigan, one of my favorite places to eat was the Fleetwood Diner in downtown Ann Arbor. This tiny diner, no more than an antique boxcar, is open 24 hours a day and draws a diverse group of people. Many a night my friends and I enjoyed some great people watching and satisfying simple food. Best of all was their "Hippie Hash." I don't have the exact recipe, but then again, I could watch the cook make it, and he never measured, either. I always ordered this with 2 eggs, over easy, and a side of rye toast. Be sure and douse the whole thing with lots of Frank's Red Hot Sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons light-flavored oil (such as canola or peanut)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large russet potatoes, grated
- 1/8 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup mushroom, sliced and sauteed until edges brown
- 1/4 cup broccoli, chopped and steamed until tender
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices rye bread, toasted (optional)
- 4 eggs, cooked to order (optional)
- Frank's red hot sauce, it won't be the same without it (optional)
- 1Wrap the grated potatoes in a clean towel or paper towels and wring out all of the water.
- 2Heat the oil and butter in a skillet to medium high heat.
- 3Add the potatoes in a single layer and pat down into pan.
- 4Cover pan and reduce heat to medium.
- 5Let potatoes cook, undisturbed, for approximately 8 - 10 minutes.
- 6Remove lid and add diced onions.
- 7Periodically lift the browned bottom layer of potatoes with a spatula and mix it all together.
- 8Cook for another 8 - 10 minutes, depending on your stove.
- 9When the potatoes look done, taste them to be sure they're fully cooked.
- 10When they're ready, add the tomatoes, mushrooms & broccoli.
- 11Mix it all up and spoon it onto 2 plates.
- 12Top each portion with half of the crumbled feta.
- 13Serve buttered rye toast and fried eggs alongside.
- 14Douse with lots of hot sauce and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fleetwood Diner Hippie Hash (Interpretation)
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.8
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.9 mg
- Sodium 287.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 11.0 g