Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This was adapted from a Hodgson Mill recipe for the breadmaker. I adapted it to traditional baking method and subbed some whole grain flour to make it healthier. The result was a sweet, fragrant, chewy and healthy bread that is fabulous with honey butter spread on top! I recommend Karen From Colorado's Honey Butter. Enjoy!
- 7⁄8 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons golden flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fat free dry milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Add dry ingredients to stand mixer.
- Add liquid ingredients.
- Mix at second speed 7 minutes.
- Let rise covered until doubled (about 90 minutes).
- Form log, let rise in bread pan to 1 1/4 inches high in center.
- Bake at 350 degrees to internal temp of 190 degrees.
A nice tall loaf, with a tender inside crumb ~ I tossed in 2 tablespoons (each) toasted poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds, in addition to the flaxseed ~ and I used olive oil instead of butter. Made for Spring PAC 2011 ~