2 hrs 45 mins
Red Hook's Note:
I have been looking for a really good, soft, low sugar yeast bread that incorporates whole wheat flour, and finally I found it! Preparation time includes rising times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water (110 -120 )
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, for kneading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flax seed, pulsed in coffee grinder a couple of times (not to powder)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, processed like the flax
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1Heat up a small bowl (I just run hot water over it). Put the honey, brown sugar, water into bowl and sprinkle yeast in and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 2In the meantime, mix all dry ingredients well in large bowl and then mix in butter (I did this with my hands -- it was fun!).
- 3Make a well in the center and pour yeast mixture into it, then stir well.
- 4Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for 5-7 minutes, incorporating the extra flour bit by bit. Add as little possible flour to work with it, the dough will feel semi-sticky.
- 5Knead into a ball and set in a large greased bowl and turn to grease the dough. Let rise 1 hour.
- 6Punch down dough and shape into loaf (knead lightly). Put into lightly greased loaf pan and let rise 45 minutes.
- 7Bake at 375° until internal temperature is 180°-190° (about 45 minutes). Temperature is very important when making yeast bread so make sure you use a thermometer whenever a temperature is listed, and a temperature gauge for your oven is ideal as well. My oven heats a whole 100° more than the dial says!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flax Sesame Yeast Bread
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 212.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.6 g