Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Just a strange concoction I created. My 15 month old is on a veggie strike so I had to come up with a way to incorporate some veggies. My original meatloaf recipe calls for eggs (daughter is allergic) and doesn't contain any veggies so I had to modify it a lot. I hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 lb pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, ground up
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- garlic powder, to taste
- 4 -5 leaves fresh cilantro
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil or Pam. Add 1/2 diced onion and 1/2 diced bell pepper. Sauté until tender.
- Add can of tomatoes/sauce, 1/2 cup water, peas and diced carrots. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stir.
- Add cilantro, 1 tbs fresh oregano and 1 tbs fresh basil. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 2 hours (or until carrots are tender). Add more herbs/ seasonings to taste.
- Once cooked, puree in blender and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine 2/3 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of flax seed. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the liquid becomes gel like. This equals 2 whole eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, cheese, flax seed mixture, 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, 2 tablespoons fresh basil, remaining diced onions and bell peppers, diced roma tomatoes and ground brown rice. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste; mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable purée to meat mixture. Mix well. If meat is too moist, add additional cheese and breadcrumbs until desired texture. My preference is to have it "sticky" but not "wet".
- Place meatloaf in small bread pans (mixture makes 2 small loafs). Cook at 380° for 40 to 45 minutes.
- While cooking, make the sauce. Mix the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard together. At 40 or 45 minutes, top the meatloaf with the sauce and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.