Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
A thin low-fat crisp cracker-like bread that you break into pieces to eat. Flax seed is available in the health food section of the supermarket. Found this on landolakes web site and am posting this as a favor to my friend, Mary. Here's to you! Haven't made this as yet.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, softened
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 44.37 ml flax seeds or 44.37 ml sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine whole wheat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Mix in butter or margarine with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk; stir just until flour is moistened.
- Stir in flax seed.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead 3 to 5 times until smooth.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out each half with floured rolling pin or pat each half with floured fingers into 13x11" rectangle on greased baking sheets.
- Prick all over with fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
- *Tip: Flax seeds, when used as whole seeds, add texture to foods. Ground seeds give the most nutritional benefit and are a primary source or omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
I really liked this recipe, very easy to make and very healthy. Only suggestion I have is to roll it as thin as possible as while baking it does rise a bit...and one can cut it up into shapes before it goes into the oven. Thanks for sharing!
Very good! It was easy enough to make and really had a nice flavor. The wheat flour and sugar gave it some nice sweetness, but not too much. I'm not very good at rolling anything out to the right shape, so mine looked odd, but since these are broken apart, it didn't really matter. Thank you for sharing!!
Very fast and simple to make. Flavour is quite bland, but perfect with jam as an accompaniment for tea! Also a good alternative to the usual bread sticks (with supper).