Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I saw flax seed at the grocery and bought it without any idea of what to do with it. I found out that flax seed contributes fiber and omega-3s to the diet. Even better, it made this delightful, speckled loaf with a nutty flavor. Wonderful as is or toasted.
- Place ingredients in your bread machine as directed by your manufacturer.
- Set to dough cycle. Check the consistency after about 10 minutes - if it looks dry, add a little more water.
- After initial rise, remove, shape in a large round loaf (or whatever you like), let rise again on a cornmeal dusted baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. If desired, brush loaf with an egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 tbl. cold water). Slash loaf with sharp knife. Place in oven. After 15 min., reduce temperature to 350 deg.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until loaf is done - an instant thermometer should read 205 deg.
- Turn onto cooling rack and let cool.
- Note: If using flax seed, 2/3 cups seed will grind into 1 cup flax meal.
- Note2: If using egg wash, you may also sprinkle loaf with whole flax or poppy seeds.
Nice color and very dense. I did use more water than the recipe calls for as my bread machine was bogging down. I used a total of at least 1 1/2 cups plus another tablespoon of water. Thanks duonyte for posting. Made for PRMR Holiday Special.
I really like this bread. I make a double batch in my kitchenAid mixer. I did find the dough to be too dry, so the next time I changed the water to 1 1/2 c. I also changed the salt to 1 tsp (personal taste). Nice to find a healthy delicious recipe, thanks.
WONDERFUL!! I used 1/2 bread flour and 1/2 a homemade whole wheat blend...threw in a bit of whole flax too...instead of egg wash did a rice milk, honey & flax gel glaze...so good...looking forward to making it with molasses and trying chia seeds next time...Thanks for a beautiful bread recipe duonyte...made playing "I recommend tag"