I saw flax seed at the grocery and bought it without any idea of what to do with it. I found out that flax seed contributes fiber and omega-3s to the diet. Even better, it made this delightful, speckled loaf with a nutty flavor. Wonderful as is or toasted.
- Place ingredients in your bread machine as directed by your manufacturer.
- Set to dough cycle. Check the consistency after about 10 minutes - if it looks dry, add a little more water.
- After initial rise, remove, shape in a large round loaf (or whatever you like), let rise again on a cornmeal dusted baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. If desired, brush loaf with an egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 tbl. cold water). Slash loaf with sharp knife. Place in oven. After 15 min., reduce temperature to 350 deg.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until loaf is done - an instant thermometer should read 205 deg.
- Turn onto cooling rack and let cool.
- Note: If using flax seed, 2/3 cups seed will grind into 1 cup flax meal.
- Note2: If using egg wash, you may also sprinkle loaf with whole flax or poppy seeds.