Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Another recipe from Breadbeckers - the co-op where I order my wheat and bread baking supplies from. Posted for safe-keeping - made public at the request of a friend....and for any fellow wheat grinders out there! :) **NOTE**Flour amounts will not be the same if using store-bought all-purpose or wheat flour.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I made these with all sucanat, Smart Balance margarine (I know, a sin), almond extract (out of vanilla), less almonds and choc. chips. I read the Choc. Chip variation and noticed that one used soft white wheat, which is what I grind for cookies. So I used 2 1/2 C of that for the oatmeal version. I used my Pampered Chef (2 T) cookie scoop and it made 75 cookies. I had to bake them for 15-16 minutes b4 I felt they were solid enough. They're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Great to have a healthier cookie, but doesn't taste "healthy".
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sucanat with honey or 1 cup sucanat or 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups freshly ground hard white wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed, Milled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, chopped
- 2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, Sucanat, and Sucanat w/Honey making a grainy paste.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Mix dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture.
- Add almonds and Chocolate chips.
- Make into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
- **Chocolate Chip Variation:.
- Use 3 ½ cups fresh Soft White Wheat Flour.
- Omit Oatmeal.
- Use 1 ½ cups of Shredded Unsweetened Coconut in place of chopped almonds.
- Use 2 cups of Chocolate Chips (or more).
- Mix as directed in above recipe.