Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is adapted from the a recipe found on the Red Mill, ground Flax meal bag. For a bran muffin, these babies are moist and very tasty. I've cut the white flour by half, and added an equal amount of buckwheat flour. I've also added a can of pumpkin and reduced the amount of milk. These muffins are so fresh and moist that they will only last a few days, so I freeze what we won't eat in a couple of days.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350, and prepare two medium size muffin pans.
- Mix the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add shredded carrots, shredded apples and walnuts if using; mix with dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix milk, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into carrot/apple mixture, and mix toghter until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups with a scant 1/4 C of batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins to a wire rack, and cool completely.
- Package 4 or 5 in quart size Ziplock.
- Label, and date the muffins you won't eat in the next couple of days and freeze.