Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very low carb muffins from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution cookbook and website (suggestions from Bernstein web forum)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup artificial sweetener (like Davinci's Vanilla) or 1⁄4 cup water with artificial sweetener
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon into 12 well-greased MINI muffin tins (without papers) OR in a regular muffin pan but only fill half full.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned. (Some folks find they need 20-25 minutes).
- When taking for lunch, put in ziplock bag with a squirt of Davinci flavoring in it. By lunchtime, it will have soaked it up and made a moist, flavorful muffin.
- Substitute the water for pancake syrup for a maple flavor.
- Chocolate version: use DaVinci's sugar-free chocolate and substitute 4 T. cocoa powder for the cinnamon. Add chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Peanut Butter icing (great over chocolate version): 2 T peanut butter, 2 T butter, some sweetener - heat in pot and drizzle over.
- Banana Nut version: use DaVinci's banana syrup and add some walnuts.
- All sweet versions are great with whipped half-and-half or cream cheese.
- Savory version: Omit sweetener and add finaly chopped onion, grated cheese, bacon, whatever.