Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Modified from the recipe, Stuffed Grape Leaves With Egg-Lemon Sauce by Sy to make it halal and tweak to our taste. It would not let me add the correct cooking time which is more like 70 minutes.
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use sweet butter for all recipes and add sea salt to taste)
- 1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean and add some oil in it so it won't be dry)
- 1⁄2 cup white basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (substitute, 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (optional, I have yet to try with them)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves
- 1 dash good olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth (I use homemade)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup balkan yogurt (thick consistency, otherwise known as Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (or to taste, amount is a guess)
- sea salt, to taste
- Remove grape leaves from the jar and open up leaves into casserole dish or equivalent. Unroll somewhat and pour over some cool tap water to soak a little.
- Meanwhile sauté onions and celery in 1 tablespoon butter, until soft.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, onion and celery, rice, mint, parsley, pine nuts if using, sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste, mix well.
- Remove one leaf (the bigger the better) and place onto a flat surface; with the shiny side down.
- Place a small amount of the filling toward the stem side of the leaf and then roll up (you may see a demo of how to here, http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=250725 yet I like to remove the stem if they are not already removed).
- Add a dash olive oil to the bottom of a pot and line with some of the riped or not so good looking grape leaves. Place the finished dolmas one by one in a single close to each other layer in the pot. Make the next layer in the opposite direction and so on.
- Add chicken stock, juice of the lemon and remaining tablespoon of butter.
- In order to prevent the grape leaves from opening up during cooking, place a small plate on top of the grape leaves and press down.
- Then cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour.
- While cooking make the Yogurt Sauce. To do this mix the Yogurt sauce ingredients well and add sea salt to taste.
- Serve dolmas warm spooning sauce on top as desired.