Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This pudding is so good, we can't decide if we prefer it hot or cold. This rich comfort food will not disappoint.
- 473.18 ml rice, white, cooked
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream
- 2 eggs, jumbo, lightly beaten
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml sugar, brown
- 4.92 ml lime zest, grated
- 2.46 ml cinnamon, freshly ground
- 0.59 ml nutmeg, freshly ground
- 236.59 ml strawberry preserves, good quality
- 236.59 ml heavy cream (hot version)
- 59.14 ml candied pineapple, shredded (cold version)
- 28.39 ml coconut, toasted (cold version)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl stir the rice, half and half, eggs, raisins, 1/3 cup of the sugar, lime zest, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Lightly butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole or baking dish.
- Pour the rice mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- To serve Hot Version.
- Let cool slightly and just before serving, drizzle heavy cream on top and garnish with a large dollop of strawberry preserves.
- To Serve Cold Version.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until needed.
- Get a small bowl and place the strawberry preserves and shredded, candied pineapple together and gently mix.
- In a parfait glass layer rice pudding, 1/8 cup of strawberry mixture, more rice pudding, another 1/8 cup of strawberry mixture and finally top with more rice pudding, garnishing with the toasted coconut.
- Chill until ready to serve.
A great dish to use leftover cook rice, I made the hot version and omitted the zest, candied pineapple and coconut, we loved it, thanks for sharing BK!
Another winner, Baby Kato! I served the hot version of this recipe, but did not add the strawberry preserves. It was wonderful without it! I am looking forward to tasting it after it has been refrigerated for a "cold" version. This is one of the best rice pudding recipes I have tried. Thanks for posting!
I cannot say enough good things about this great recipe, but I will try. I made a full recipe of the *hot version* ~ altho I made it early in the dy, microwave warmed it to serve & that worked very well. I did sprinkle the top surface w/the balance of the brown sugar as directed, but it disappeared into the custard mixture. The flavour produced by using half & half, brown sugar & the spices gives it a rich & lovely caramel flavour unlike any other rice pudding I have ever tasted. This easy-fix is the ultimate sweet comfort food if that is what you are after, but dressed up as directed becomes very company-worthy as well. All that said, I must say that I got 8 ample servings from this recipe & that chg would greatly improve the nutritional data as it is already inflated from including all ingredients for both versions. I always thot my Gramma made the best rice pudding, but I was wrong. This is the best ! :-)