Recipe by Baby Kato
This pudding is so good, we can't decide if we prefer it hot or cold. This rich comfort food will not disappoint.
- 2 cups rice, white, cooked
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 eggs, jumbo, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, brown
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 cup strawberry preserves, good quality
- 1 cup heavy cream (hot version)
- 1⁄4 cup candied pineapple, shredded (cold version)
- 1⁄8 cup coconut, toasted (cold version)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl stir the rice, half and half, eggs, raisins, 1/3 cup of the sugar, lime zest, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Lightly butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole or baking dish.
- Pour the rice mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- To serve Hot Version.
- Let cool slightly and just before serving, drizzle heavy cream on top and garnish with a large dollop of strawberry preserves.
- To Serve Cold Version.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until needed.
- Get a small bowl and place the strawberry preserves and shredded, candied pineapple together and gently mix.
- In a parfait glass layer rice pudding, 1/8 cup of strawberry mixture, more rice pudding, another 1/8 cup of strawberry mixture and finally top with more rice pudding, garnishing with the toasted coconut.
- Chill until ready to serve.