Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I get perfect rice every time with this Recipe. Taught to me by an Indian Teacher at her Indian Cooking Class. Boiled rice with spices and ingredients to add flavour. The flavour is spicy but not hot spicy
- 1 cup basmati rice (or however much you need to cook)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 a cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- Wash Rice in a bowl several times until the water is no longer starchy.
- Heat up the butter in a medium size pot.
- Add Onion & Stir through washed Rice quickly (just so that they are coated with Butter).
- Add Water.
- For the perfect amount of water for cooking time, put water into pot with rice and use your middle finger, rest the tip of the finger on top of rice (not bottom of pot) and stop water level once it reaches the first crease/part the finger e.g. the whole tip of finger.
- Add spices.
- Bring to the boil, stir thoroughly.
- Do not boil for long just bring to the boil then reduce heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer and put lid on the rice.
- Keep on low heat until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove spices and serve.
- Cooking time is approximate and depending on how much rice you are cooking, but is very quick to make.
This is super simple and yummy! I added chicken stock and it turned out perfect and paired really nice with my roasted chicken thighs. A definite keeper!
This tasted terrific along with a simple curry. I enjoyed the helpful cooking tips & had fun playing with something new. Made for Spring '09 Pick A Chef.