Recipe by French Tart
I always make my own flavoured oils and vinegar - I use them for cooking and also to give as gifts. I am lucky enough to have a garden large enough in which I can devote large areas totally to herbs, rare plants & flowers. This is my "Standard" recipe for cold infused flavoured herb & fruit oils. You can use any fresh herbs which you have available, even if it is only one type - it will still provide you with a wonderful flavoured oil for cooking, baking and gift giving! You can add the fruit zest if you wish - it's a moveable feast in which you get to choose!
Top Review by Rita~
I love infused oils. And this one is delish! Infused oils and oil-based mixtures of garlic, herbs can pose a health hazard if not kept refrigerated. I suggest making small amounts to be used quickly. You can also freeze it and just bring to room temperature. Do Use sterile bottles. Thanks for the yummy goodness.
- 1 1⁄8 liters olive oil
Selection of Fresh herbs such as
- bay leaf
- 6 -10 black peppercorns
- 2 slices orange zest or 2 slices lemon zest
- 2 red chilies (optional)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- First harvest your herbs; make sure if they are near a road or busy walkway that they have been gently washed in water OR wiped clean.
- Ensure they are dry before addng to the bottles.
- Make up a small bunch for each bottle; such as a sprig each of Thyme, Bay, Tarragon & Rosemary.
- Take two clean & dry 1 pint jars or bottles (I keep interesting & attractive wine, oil and vinegar bottles!) and put the herbs, peppercorns, orange and/or lemon peel and chillies(if using)into them.
- Fill up with the olive oil, seal with a cork preferably and store in a dark and cool place for 2 weeks.
- Shake the jars/bottles on a daily basis.
- After 2 weeks the oils will be ready to use - but they will be more herb infused if you leave them for up to 4 weeks.
- Use within 6 months.
- Decorate with raffia, handmade ribbons,sprigs of fresh/dried herbs & then hang a recipe from the neck of the bottle - great to give as a gift.