1/2 Photos of Flavors of India: Spiced Pumpkin Bread
This is a beautiful loaf of bread full of wonderful flavors :-) Enjoy!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9.85 ml cumin seeds
- 44.37 ml butter, divided
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 3.69 ml salt
- 177.44 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree
- 7.39 ml finely diced serrano peppers
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 158.51 ml buttermilk
- 177.44 ml shredded colby cheese, divided
- 1Note: If you want to puree your own pumpkin, here are the instructions.
- 2To puree pumpkin, peel the pumpkin and cut into cubes approximately 2-inches in size.
- 3Boil the cubes in salted water until tender, 10-12 minutes.
- 4Drain the pumpkin and then puree it in a food processor.
- 5Allow it to cool completely.
- 6For the bread: First, you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Butter a loaf pan.
- 8Heat a small heavy skillet, and add the cumin seeds allowing them to toast just until they are aromatic; do not allow them to brown or burn.
- 9Remove seeds from skillet and set aside.
- 10In the same skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of butter and add the onion, curry powder, ground cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- 11Cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently until the onion is soft; approximately 5 minutes.
- 12Remove from heat and let cool; stir in reserved cumin seed.
- 13Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sugar into a large bowl.
- 14Melt the remaining butter and set it aside.
- 15In a large bowl, whisk your puree of pumpkin, chile, eggs, buttermilk, onion mixture and melted butter; mix just until it is moistened-do not over-mix.
- 16Add flour mixture and stir just until mixed; do not over-mix.
- 17Fold in 1/2 cup of your Colby cheese, and then spoon the mixture into your loaf pan.
- 18Bake in your preheated oven for 35 minutes, then remove it from the oven, sprinkle the rest of your cheese over the top of the bread, and return it to the oven for approximately 5-8 minutes longer, until the cheese has melted, and the bread is baked through.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flavors of India: Spiced Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (809 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1671.5
- Calories from Fat 712
- Total Fat 79.1 g
- Saturated Fat 43.8 g
- Cholesterol 601.6 mg
- Sodium 3853.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 186.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 58.9 g