Recipe by love4culinary
This is a beautiful loaf of bread full of wonderful flavors :-) Enjoy!!!
Top Review by Lalaloula
This bread was so yummy! It had an intense curry, cumin and onion flavour, which went so well with the mashed pumpkin and cheese. Mmmmm! Next time I might try adding some garlic to it as well. I think that would be a nice addition.
The bread was moist in the centre with a nice crust on top. I baked it in muffin tins as I didnt have the time to wait for a full loaf to cook through and that worked out nicely.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this awesome recipe here with us, love4culinary!
Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag Game November 2010.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely diced serrano peppers
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded colby cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: If you want to puree your own pumpkin, here are the instructions.
- To puree pumpkin, peel the pumpkin and cut into cubes approximately 2-inches in size.
- Boil the cubes in salted water until tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the pumpkin and then puree it in a food processor.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- For the bread: First, you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a loaf pan.
- Heat a small heavy skillet, and add the cumin seeds allowing them to toast just until they are aromatic; do not allow them to brown or burn.
- Remove seeds from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of butter and add the onion, curry powder, ground cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently until the onion is soft; approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool; stir in reserved cumin seed.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and sugar into a large bowl.
- Melt the remaining butter and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk your puree of pumpkin, chile, eggs, buttermilk, onion mixture and melted butter; mix just until it is moistened-do not over-mix.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until mixed; do not over-mix.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of your Colby cheese, and then spoon the mixture into your loaf pan.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 35 minutes, then remove it from the oven, sprinkle the rest of your cheese over the top of the bread, and return it to the oven for approximately 5-8 minutes longer, until the cheese has melted, and the bread is baked through.