Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Vegetarian spaghetti sauce with TVP, onion, garlic, and lots of herbs.
Make and share this Flavorful Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce With Tvp recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- In a large sauce pan or casserole dish saute oil, onion, and garlic until it it begins to brown a little.
- Put canned tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, parsley, paprika, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and sugar into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. When adding canned tomatoes use a little water to clean the cans and add to blender mixture.
- Add tomato mixture to onions and garlic.
- Add bay leaf.
- Boil textured vegetable protein in a separate pot until soft (about 5 minutes). Strain and add to sauce.
- Simmer Sauce for about 2 hours. I have done both shorter, but I would recommend 2 hours.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or use in lasagna.
I used this recipe loosely to make my sauce. I used tomato paste and some leftover spaghetti sauce. I didn't use TVP, but used Tempeh Sausage Crumbles insead. Turned out great! Thanks for the help!
I roughly halved the recipe & added lots of veggies, that I kept chunky style & I made a great lasagne with the results. Thanks for posting :)