Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not many entrees are normally made from canned tuna except those tuna casserole recipes which have been around for ages. I thought that making moist, flavorful Tuna Patties topped with a creamy dilled sauce would make a nice entree change of pace. The various vegetables not only add something new to the tuna, but add wonderful flavor and texture as well. Most of the items you probably have in your panty and fridge on a regular basis. IMPORTANT--Do not add salt until the patties sauce are finished and tasted. The tuna and mayonnaise already have added salt and there is danger of it becoming too salty if additional salt is added prior to cooking.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons dill pickles, finely chopped sliced
- 1 tablespoon dry dill weed
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 (5 ounce) can albacore tuna, not drained
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives, finely chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter
- Dill Sauce.
- Place in a small bowl the 1 cup of mayonnaise.
- Add the 4 Tablespoons finely chopped sliced dill pickles, the 1 Tablespoon dry dill weed, the juice of 1/2 of the lime, and the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Refrigerate until Patties are cooked.
- Saute the finely chopped onion and mushrooms in small amount of olive oil until brown and carmelized.
- Remove sauteed onion and mushrooms and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl add the 2 cans of drained chunk light tuna, the UNDRAINED can of albacore tuna, the 2 well beaten eggs, the 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, the juice of half of the lime, the 1 1/2 Tablespoon of finely chopped green pepper, the 3 Tablespoons of finely chopped celery, the 1/4 cup of unseasoned bread crumbs, and the 1/4 cup mayonnaise, mix well.
- Add the cooled sauteed onion and mushroom to other ingredients.
- In a large frying pan, melt the 4-5 Tablespoons of butter until med hot.
- Place 1/2 cup mounds in the hot butter gently pressing down with the back of a spoon until you have 6 large patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook over medium heat being careful not to turn them over until the patties are brown on the bottom side.
- After the patties are nicely brown remove from and serve with the Dill Sauce.
I did not like the mushrooms in the patty at all, The sauce was O.K.
The tarter like sauce is terrific. I loved the addition of dill & lime. The flavors of the tuna patties are really nice too, but they didn't hold together at all for me. I ended up scooping the broken patties onto a plate and topping with the sauce. It wasn't pretty, but it tasted good! Good luck in the contest!
I wish I could give this half a star. The sauce was awesome, but I had trouble making the patties, because I found the two different kinds of tuna made it a little hard to form the patties. But overall it was a great recipe.