Posting here for “Annie”. I don’t use anything but Hot breakfast sausage, (Jimmy Dean’s but I’m sure there are others out there), for the Sausage Gravy. Great flavor, just enough heat and the kids (even the big one) milled it. LOL. Note: Prep time does not include making the biscuits.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned and cooked through, crumbling and breaking it up as it cooks.
- Sprinkle flour over the sausage and drippings and stir until all flour is dissolved and incorporated. Cook for a minute or two longer.
- Slowly stir in milk, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until thick and bubbly. **Note** If the gravy is too thick for you at this point you can add more milk in 1/8 cup increments.
- Remove from heat. Taste gravy and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve over hot biscuits that have been split open on the plate.