Recipe by Yummy InMyTummy
So many delicious and complementing flavors in this dish. I made it for Thanksgiving one year (for 40 people so I made multiple servings!) and it was gone with the first helpings at the buffet table!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes.
- I leave the peels on for texture and nutrients, but feel free to peel them.
- Quarter the sweet potatoes and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. (you can also substitute milk or half and half for the cream).
- Cook covered over low heat, stirring occasionally untill potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork. About 30-40 minutes. (Microwaving also works. It takes a little shorter, but cooking time varies-about 20 minutes).
- Turn off heat and mash the potatoes with a hand mashed (preferred) or a handmixer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and whip to make fluffy.
- Also try sprinkling some dried cranberries or chopped walnuts on top :).