Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this one from my mother--it's our family favorite.
- 2 cups macaroni, but you can use other pastas (elbows seem to be best)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces bricks extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 32 Ritz crackers (1 sleeve) or 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- Shred cheese(keep some cheese aside to place on the top) and combine in sauce pan with cream of mushroom soup andmilk. Bring to a soft boil till cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat stir in bread crumbs.If you use crackers crush them in a sandwich bag till finely crushed.
- Boil macaroni (still a little firm); drain.
- Pour about 1/2 into a casserole dish and stir in cheese mixture; stir in the rest of the macaroni till mixed in with cheese sauce.
- Place some cheese on the top. A thin layer works well.
- Pour a small amount of milk (1/4 cup or so) over the top of the cheese. Cover dish and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes then remove cover. If you like crispy edges and bake 10 to 15 more minutes.