Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a very flavorful beef stew that is fully of chunky vegetables, and tender bites of beef. I love this recipe in the fall or winter when it is chilly outside. You can make a big batch of it and save some for later. I created this recipe when I was "souping up" a basic stew recipe.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 8 medium red potatoes, diced into medium sized pieces
- 10 large carrots, peeled, cut to bite size pieces
- 8 stalks celery, including the leaves, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) canof mild green chili peppers
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canv-8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 quarts water (more or less depending on how thick you like your stew)
- Place potatoes, carrots, and celery in bottom of the slow cooker. Place the stew meat on top of the vegetables. The oil from the meat will help cook the vegetables, and prevent the meat from cooking unevenly. Then pour the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot. Season to taste. I like to use seasoned salt, and celery salt. Set the crock pot to a medium setting and allow 3-5 hours to cook.