Recipe by Debber
Select from the listed ingredients, mix-n-match to create your own flavorite! Use the freshest & highest quality ingredients you can afford--or raise them in your own garden to be sure of the very best!
- 2 cups vinegar (white or cider)
Option 1 Herb Vinegar Flavoring
- 1 cup fresh herb (rosemary, sage, thyme)
- 3 peeled shallots
Option 2 Strawberry Vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup hulled strawberry
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup whole raspberries
Directions See How It's Made
- GENERAL NOTES: All vinegars are corrosive; be sure to use only glass jars; use cork, glass or plastic lids.
- After flavors mature, store vinegar in a cool, dark place.
- Vinegar will stay fresh & tasty for YEARS, depending on the ingredients used.
- TO MAKE HERB VINEGAR: Lightly crush herbs and peeled onion (pieces)- use a mortar & pestle or the flat side of a large knife on a cutting board. Place crushed ingredients in clean glass jar with a WIDE neck.
- Slowly heat vinegar until WARM; pour into jar with herbs & onions, filling jar to the top. Seal and place in SUNNY window.
- Let vinegar mature for 2 weeks; shake daily & taste periodically (add more spices if necessary; then allow to sit longer).
- When vinegar has reached desired taste, filter through cheesecloth layers; pour into clean bottle; add FRESH herbs & spices for decoration and flavor; seal.