Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Flavored oils can be used for cooking, in salad dressing, brushed over grilled meats or fish. They are also good stirred into mashed potatoes or spooned over steamed vegetables. Some good combinations would be rosemary/thyme, ginger/garlic, or bay leaf/peppercorn. You can either strain the oil or leave the solids in to intensify the flavor.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt or 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons whole nutmegs
- 2 tablespoons dried chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 tablespoons shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- In a saucepan, over low heat, warm 1 cup of olive oil with one of the above ingredients, or a combination of your choice.
- Allow to bubble and simmer for five minutes; cool.
- Funnel into a clean bottle or other container.
- Keep refrigerated and use within one week.