Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. I enjoy this recipe because you can combine your vegetable and starch components into one dish. This recipe came from trying to use leftover mashed potatoes. I always have reserved bacon drippings that I keep in my refrigerator but butter can be substituted.
- 1 large onion
- 1 bunch kale (any type)
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice one large onion.
- Saute in either 1/3 cup bacon drippings (preferred) or 1/3 cup butter until just slightly colored.
- Strip kale from its stems and chop into pieces.
- Put the kale into a covered microwaveable container with a small amount of water just to cover the bottom of the container with about a 1/2 inch of liquid.
- Steam the kale for 3 minutes.
- Remove the kale and drain.
- Add the kale to the sauteed onion mixture and saute for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season the onion/kale mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat your Simply Potatoes Mashed Potatoes according to package directions and then combine with the onion/kale mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!