Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Renal-friendly version of these Mexican yums! These flautas can be made using shredded chicken instead of brisket. Posted for Zaar World Tour II
- 1 lb beef brisket, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 18 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, for frying
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat shredded brisket in a skillet with salt, cumin and black/cayenne peppers.
- Make sure spices are well incorporated into the meat.
- Warm corn tortillas in 250 degree oven until soft.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of meat in a line down the middle of each tortilla.
- Roll up each tortilla tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- Fry flautas in hot shortening or oil, turning until all sides are crisp.
- Serve immediately with sour cream, shredded lettuce, and sliced tomato.
i made these with chicken .i served with gauamole.dee
I could not believe how easy this was! I used left over pot roast amd in addition to the cumin, I used chili powder, oregano and about 2 oz diced green chiles - left out the black and cayanne pepper. I heated my tortillas over the stove fire and didn't have any toothpicks, so I just carefylly laid them in about 1/2 inch of hot veg oil, with the seam side down and it worked perfectly. Just started off making them for myself, but as soon as DH and DD got a taste, I had to go back and make more! I never realized how easy taquitos were to make! I was going to use the meat for tonight's dinner, but it's now almost gone :-) Thanks for such a great idea!
Wonderful and crispy. Great way to use up left over brisket. My first attempt did not work...tortillas cracked and broke. I used the method I use for enchiladas and dipped the tortillas in hot oil to make them limp. This was much more successful! I love these out and have never been brave enough to try at home. Thank you Cynna for posting an awesome recipe.