Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is perfect for brunch, lunch, or a light dinner. Serve it with seviche or a side dish of marinated artichoke hearts with cooked shrimp mixed in. Originally from a May 1980 issue of Bon Appetit featuring savory tarts.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells or 1 (12 inch) corn tortillas or 1 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb boneless lean beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced green chilis
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- sour cream (garnish)
- sliced avocado (garnish)
- salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using pastry, fit into a 9 inch tart or pie pan.Brush with egg white and bake 5 minutes;let cool.
- If using tortilla, grease a 9 inch pie plate, add tortilla and brush lightly with oil. Bake until top is very lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pat meat with mixture of paprika and chili powder.
- Add meat, onion and garlic to skillet and brown well. Reduce heat, cover partially and braise (do not add liquid) until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. If meat begings to stick, cover pan completely.
- If liquid has accumulated when meat is tender, remove lid and cook until moisture has evaporated.
- Let meat cool, then shred coarsely, using fingers or forks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine meat, cooked onion and garlic, cheese, 1 cup sour cream, green onion,chilies,eggs, salt and pepper in large bowl and mix well.
- Turn into prepared pastry, spreading evenly.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set and crust is nicely browned.
- Cool slightly, then spread top with sour cream and decorate with avocado slices.
- Serve with salsa, if desired.