Recipe by JillAZ
Got this from the Cooking Light magazine April issue. This is so delicious! It says it makes 8 servings but I must admit that DH and I had no trouble eating the whole thing. Yum! Prep time includes rising time for the dough.
Top Review by LoveGoodFood
I too have made this recipe from cooking light several times but instead of making the dough from scratch, I used a Boboli thin crust pizza. I drizzled the crust with olive oil and sprinkled it with sea salt and ground pepper. I used fresh thyme and more garlic. I placed it in an oven at 500 for 6-8 minutes. It is very good! So quick and easy. Good to serve as an appetizer as well.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ounces pancetta
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb fresh asparagus
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dough:.
- Combine warm water(100 - 110 degrees) with yeast in a medium sized bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- After it has proofed for 5 minutes, add 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt to yeast. Stir to blend.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.(about 8 minutes) Add additional 1/4 cup flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. This is a slightly sticky dough when finished.
- You can also knead in a stand mixer until smooth and it climbs up the dough hook.
- Place in a bowl that has been coated with cooking spray. Turn dough to coat top with spray. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- To make topping:.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Finely chop pancetta. Mince garlic clove. Add pancetta, garlic and thyme to skillet. Saute about 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and trim asparagus. Unless you have extremely thin asparagus, slice in half or quarters lengthwise to make very thin pieces.
- preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Punch dough down; cover and let it rest 5 minutes.
- Roll out onto a floured surface into a 10 inch circle. (mine ended up looking rather oblong but it still tasted great!).
- Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread pancetta mixture evenly over the top. Place asparagus pieces over top. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until dough is golden brown on bottom. (the top doesn't get as brown).
- While it is baking, make shaves of parmesan cheese using a vegetable peeler.
- When flatbread is done, remove from oven and top with parmesan.