Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very versatile dish from Bonnie Stern who has owned a cooking school in Toronto Canada for over 30 years. It can be served at a cocktail party, as an appetizer or as a main course with a side salad. My DH & I have been known to devour the whole thing, with a few glasses of wine, on a Saturday night!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb frozen puff pastry (defrosted but cold)
- 6 ounces brie cheese, diced (rind removed)
- 6 ounces mild blue cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil or 2 tablespoons parsley
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions; cook until wilted& starting to brown.
- Add sugar, vinegar, salt& pepper.
- Reduce heat& cook gently for 15- 25 minutes or until onions are caramelized& brown.
- Roll pastry into a rectangle approximately 12 x 16 inches. I don't use the sheets of puff pastry - I prefer to use the 375gm package of Tenderflake Puff Pastry. I start rolling it out on my counter, then I transfer it to my baking tray (which has been lined with parchment paper) and roll the pastry to fit the tray. Since puff pastry is very "forgiving", you can "cut & paste" if necessary.
- Spread onions over pastry.
- Dot with cheese& sprinkle with chervil.
- If you are preparing this for a party, you can prepare to this point and refrigerate- then bake later.
- Bake in preheated 400F oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cheese has melted& pastry is crisp.
- When removed from the oven, it will be puffed right up but allow it to cool for 5 minutes & it will fall back down. Cut into 20 serving pieces - this is easier done with kitchen scissors instead of a knife - then cut each piece in half diagonally.
this was fabulous--very savory Served at a party and was a huge success--and sooooo easy, my 13 year old made it
FABULOUS!!!!!!!! OMG this is good!!! easy and so delicious... followed exactly, thanks SO much.
Delicious! I'm always testing recipes in advance for parties and tried this one over the weekend and DH and I loved it! I really like the fact that it can be put together ahead of time (which I did) and baked at the last minute. Super easy for parties. Thanks so much for posting a keeper!