Recipe by Cookin'Diva
I love the new flatbreads that make a great low-calorie pizza crust. My grocery chain carries a brand called "FlatOut" in the deli area. If you can't find flatbreads, use a thin pre-baked pizza crust or use pita breads (split in half to make thin rounds). Top with chicken, caramelized red onion and Gruyere for a very fancy treat that is moderate in calories and fat.
Top Review by bluerose321
This is great! I make these for my husband, who had bariatric surgery a year ago and has lost over 120 pounds. The flatbread is perfect since he cannot tolerate bread well. I also make these as pepperoni pizza, using a small amount of Pizza sauce from a jar. Great substitue for him.
- 4 flat bread (such as "FlatOut", or use 4 pitas, split into 8 thin rounds)
- 8 ounces chicken, cooked, cut in pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons boursin cheese (cream cheese with herb or garlic seasoning)
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (or Swiss cheese)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite brand
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare flatbreads - It works best if the flatbreads have dried and crisped a bit before adding pizza toppings. So as my oven is pre-heating, I place the flatbreads on parchment paper and bake them for 5 minutes on each side. After 10 minutes, the flatbread is still soft but it won't get soggy when you bake it with pizza toppings.
- While flatbreads are pre-baking, saute sliced red onion in 1 T. oil about 8-10 minutes over MEDIUM heat. Set onions aside.
- To assemble - spread each pre-baked flatbread with 1 T. Boursin cheese. Then divide equally red onion, cooked chicken, and shredded Grueyere cheese. Drizzle each pizza with about 1/4 cup BBQ sauce.
- Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes.