Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one recipe requested for using bran.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups natural bran (not cereal)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup hard margarine, cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Measure first 7 ingredients into large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Combine hot water and butter in small bowl.
- Stir until butter melts.
- Add buttermilk to butter mixture.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Stir lightly, just enough to moisten.
- Shape into about 22 balls the size of an egg.
- Roll each ball on lightly floured surface until paper thin using a lefse rolling pin if possible.
- Cook on ungreased lefse grill or frying pan at 400 degrees to bown both sides, turning once.
- Put in 200 degree oven on paper towel-lined baking sheet to dry, about 4-5 minutes.