1/2 Photos of Flatbread
I got this recipe from a Epicurean Cooking School when my DD had a birthday party there. This recipe is not fast, but it is easy. It makes a very thick and chewy flatbread (it makes a great pizza crust, too, just bake at 425 for 10 minutes for small pizzas and 15-20 for a big one). The cooking times are in reality 30 minutes prep time, 1 hour rise time, 30 minutes cook time (active work, though).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, proof the yeast by dissolving it in the warm water with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Let stand 2 minutes. The mixture should look foamy and start to smell yeasty.
- 2Turn mixer on low and start adding the flour. How much you add depends on the humidity, you want it to not be a really sticky dough. Once you have the whole wheat flour and 2 cups of the white flour in, add the salt water, and then the oil. Let this come together into one mass and then check to see whether it needs more flour or not. If needed add, some flour, let it mix a while and test again.
- 3Then set your mixer to medium speed and let it knead your dough until it becomes elastic and smooth, maybe 8 minutes, scraping down the dough ball occasionally.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a work surface, and fold it over a few times, forming it into a nice smooth ball. Place this into a bowl that has been lightly oiled and roll it around a few times to completely cover the ball. This will prevent the dough ball from forming a skin on it while it is rising. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- 5Place in a warm place until it doubles in size, 45 minutes to one hour.
- 6Once it has doubled, take dough and separate it into 6 smaller balls. On a clean unfloured surface, roll out each of these balls to about a 1/2" thickness.
- 7Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Do not use non-stick for this. Once your pan is very hot, place one flatbread in it. Turn after 2 minutes. Remove after 2 more minutes. Repeat with the rest of the flatbread.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flatbread
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.6
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1166.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 8.5 g