1/1 Photo of flat bread or khoubiz
1 hr 5 mins
My friends kept telling me (those in Jordan), that this was too hard, it's much easier to buy. But back in the states, you can't get good flat bread. But I found someone who shared their recipe with me, and it's very similar to what I used to buy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, and warm in oven on low heat.
- 2Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water, add remaining water and stir in salt and sugar.
- 3Remove about 2 cups of the flour from the bowl, set aside.
- 4Pour yeast liquid into centre and stir in some flour to make a thick liquid.
- 5Cover with a cloth and leave in warm place till frothy.
- 6Stir in the rest of the flour, adding oil gradually, then beat till smooth, either by hand for 10 min, or with electric mixer using dough hook for 5 min.
- 7Sprinkle some of the reserved flour onto a board, turn out dough and knead for 10 min, using more flour as required.
- 8Dough is ready when it's smooth, satiny with a slightly wrinkled texture.
- 9Shape dough into a ball.
- 10Oil bowl, put dough in smooth side down, then turn to coat with oil.
- 11Cover and let rise till doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 12Preheat oven at 500 F (260 C).
- 13Punch down the dough and turn out onto lightly floured board.
- 14Knead for a min or so, then divide into 8 equal pieces, rolling each into a ball.
- 15Roll each piece into a 25 cm (10 in) round and place on a lightly floured cloth.
- 16Cover with another cloth and leave about 20 min.
- 17Heat large baking sheet or flat griddle on the lowest shelf on electric oven, in a gas oven select the section with the most even heat.
- 18Place a round on a lightly floured baking sheet with one flat edge or on a piece of plywood, spreading it evenly.
- 19Shake to ensure that it will slide off easily.
- 20Rub heated baking sheet or riddle with wad of paper towel dipped in oil then slide dough onto it.
- 21Bake in hot oven for 4-5 min till it puffs like a balloon.
- 22If you'd like it browned on top, turn quickly and leave for a min.
- 23Remove bread and wrap in cloth to keep warm and soft.
- 24Rep with rem loaves.
- 25(note) If desired, you can use an electric fry pan.
- 26Preheat it on the highest setting with lid on, vent closed.
- 27When heated, oil base quickly& slide dough onto base.
- 28Cover& cook for 3 min, turn bread, recover and cook another 2 min, about.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for flat bread or khoubiz
Serving Size: 1 (1271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 439.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 10.0 g