Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yummy flat bread! Quick and easy for the allergy sensitive and economy minded person.
- 59.14 ml flax seed
- 118.29 ml tapioca
- 177.44 ml brown rice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 28.39-59.14 ml water
- Grind first 3 ingredients, separately 1/4 c at a time for best results, in a spice/coffee grinder until finely ground and powdery.
- Dump them in a medium bowl.
- Add baking powder and salt. Mix together with whisk, sifter, or hands.
- Add oil and 1/2 the water. Mix well until forms a loose ball.Adding water as needed.
- Separate out 2Tb size portions.
- Roll into 8 tight balls. Flatten and then press between wax paper as you shape into a round or oval about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place on a medium height griddle, or skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes each side or until dry looking and lightly browned or blackened in spots per your preference. Blackened to me tastes more like Naan.
- I used short grain brown rice for mine and tapioca pearls. Recipezaar didn't recognize it.
Somewhere between three and four stars ;-) This was pretty good. I used ground flax seed, tapioca starch and brown rice flour, added some xanthan gum and more water than the recipe called for. Also I let the dough sit one hour at room temperature. Easy to make and tasty, will make it again. Thanks for posting!
Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
This is one of my first experiences of wheat free, yeast free, gluten free cooking so I only had Tapioca Flour and Rice Flour in the cupboards.
I made these in lieu of Naan to accompany a lamb curry so added garlic and coriander. Nice addition but they were very heavy. I had included an egg on advice from a friend but I think I might try these again but with xanathan gum next time instead.
xanthan gum looks like it would help here.