Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 mins
Pinched this recipe from the partners dad, he's made it for us each time we've been and it's so yummy. He sometimes puts herbs, garlic etc in for added flavour, unsure of measurements, so use your best judgement.
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 7 g sachet dried yeast or 15 g fresh yeast
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- Combine sugar, yeast and 375ml warm water in a bowl and stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture begins to foam.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, then add yeast mixture, yoghurt and combine well. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cloth or tea towel and stand for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down, then divide it into 8 portions, place on lightly oiled trays, cover with cloth and stand for another 15 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium heat and brush with oil. Place one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a thin 22cm round.
- When skillet is very hot, place dough round into pan and cook for 1 minute or until brown spots appear on the base (it will also bubble a little bit).
- Turn and cook for another minute, then place on a plate and cover with a cloth to keep warm.
- Lightly brush the pan with a little more oil and repeat with the remaining dough rounds.
- Store any leftover flatbreads in an airtight container or freeze.
This is so easy and tastes great. I made as written, but will try it with herbs or garlic next time. I have a couple leftover and I am going to use them for individual pizzas. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.