Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook, but I have added 2 eggs to it, as I felt their recipe was like a hockey puck! The frosting is awesome on day one - it tends to break down by day 2 - maybe it should be refrigerated!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canola oil mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 35o degrees.
- Coat two 9" round pans with cooking spray.
- Beat the sugar and mayonnaise in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Beat in the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt and beat just until blended.
- Spread the batter in the pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Combine the syrup, egg whites, and cream of tartar in the top of a double boiler.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high until well blended.
- Place over rapidly boiling water and beat for 4-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the water and continue beating for 3-5 minutes or until thickened and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread 1 cup of the frosting over the cake.
- Top with the second cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.